How to Conduct a Maryland Business Search
Are you wondering if the Business Name you chose for your business is available in Maryland? Here's a quick guide for you to conduct an MD Business Search!
Regardless of the motivation, setting aside time and energy for research before starting a new business endeavor is crucial. Fortunately, you have an effortless solution. This guide will provide you with all the resources necessary to conduct a comprehensive Maryland entity search. With this information in hand, you can confidently move forward on your journey into entrepreneurship with ease.
How to Conduct a Maryland (MD) Business Entity Search
The State's Business Entity Search tool makes finding a Maryland business effortless. All you need to do is follow these straightforward steps for quick and easy results.
Step 1: Visit the Maryland SOS Website
If you plan to set up a business in Maryland, the first step is to visit the official Secretary of State website for Maryland. This virtual platform will allow you to securely conduct your entity search and start setting up your company.
Step 2: Search by Business Name in Maryland
The Maryland Secretary of State website can assist you in finding a business by name or department ID. To begin your search, type the company's title into the query bar and select "Business Name" from the checklist provided before clicking on "Search."
Step 3: View Results of the MD Business Lookup on the SOS Website
The search results will display three columns of data about businesses in Maryland.
- Department ID: This is the State ID for a business registered in Maryland
- Entity Name: The legal name of the company
- Status: This will tell you if the entity is active or inactive.
Step 4: Get Additional Information about a Maryland Business
If you locate the business that interests you, don't hesitate to click its name and get a more thorough breakdown of information. You'll be presented with an array of details about the company, including but not limited to the following:
- Department ID Number: This is the State ID for a business registered in Maryland.
- Business Name: The legal name of the company.
- Principal Office: The address of the business.
- Resident Agent: The registered agent of the business.
- Status: This will tell you if the entity is active or inactive.
- Good Standing: This will tell you if the business is in good standing with the state.
- Business Type: The type of business (i.e., LLC, Corporation, etc.)
- Business Code: The code assigned to the business is based on its type.
- Date of Formation/ Registration: The date the business was formed or registered.
- State of Formation: The state where the business was formed or registered.
- Stock Status: Whether the business has issued stock or not.
- Close Status: Whether the business has been closed or not.
Step 5: Order Documents Related to the MD Business
The Maryland Secretary of State's website allows you to obtain documentation relating to your business. Corporate records like articles of incorporation, amendments, yearly reports, and more are all available for request.
The fees for copies are as follows.
- Obtaining a Certificate of Status is accessible for only $20.00, with an added expedited charge of another $20.00 if desired to get your certificate promptly.
- Obtaining Certified Copies will cost a flat rate of $20.00 plus an additional fee of $1.00 per page for the first copy requested, and all successive copies then require only a mere extra dollar each.
- Non-Certified Copies will cost only $1 per page. Moreover, if you need your documents sooner than the normal turnaround time permits, there is an additional expedited processing fee of $20.00 to get them quickly.
Searching by Department ID
To narrow your search even further, the Maryland SOS website allows you to enter an 8-digit Department ID that begins with a 'D.' Then click "Search," and you'll be directed to the desired results.
What Should You Do if a Business Name is Registered in Maryland?
Don't fret if the business name of your dreams has already been registered in Maryland! There are plenty of ways you can create a distinct and untroublesome brand.
Brainstorm Business Name Ideas
Before registering your business, it is wise to generate potential names. Start by compiling a list of words relevant to your industry or services/products, as well as any ideas alluding to qualities differentiating your company from the rest and emotions associated with what you are offering.
Once you have identified a few words that ideally represent your business, try merging them to create an exclusive and distinct name for your venture.
Use a Smart Business Name Generator
If you're stuck trying to figure out a business name, don't worry! There are plenty of online tools like business name generators that can help. All you have to do is enter some words related to your business, and these powerful generators will promptly give you unique, pertinent suggestions for names. For example, BrandSnag's Business Name Generator helps you come up with a business name that is unique and catchy by just entering a few keywords related to your business in Maryland.
Incorporate Relevant Keywords in Your Business Name
To create an attention-grabbing business name, use keywords relevant to your company. This way, you will have a title that accurately reflects your brand's identity and provides SEO benefits. For instance, if you want to start a French eatery in Maryland, consider adding 'French' or 'Maryland' into its moniker!
· France in Maryland
· French Cuisine Done Right
· Maryland's Finest French Cuisine
By incorporating keywords, you can create a catchy business name that easily stands out from the competition.
Check if the URL is Available as a Domain Name
Naming your business is already hard, and ensuring the URL you want is available as a domain name can make it even harder. Don't worry - BrandSnag's Domain Checker tool has you covered! Enter your desired domain in the search bar, then click 'Check Now' to find out if it's still up for grabs. If taken, don't give up hope just yet; with enough creativity and persistence, plenty more names could suit your business better than the first.
Check if The Business Name is Available on Popular Social Platforms
Any business needs to ensure they have a presence on social media sites, and having the same handle or username across different networks makes it easier for potential customers to find you.
Before registering your company's name in Maryland, try BrandSnag's Social Media Checker - making this process effortless by allowing you to instantly verify if your desired name is available on some of the most popular platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
Check Trademark Availability
Before registering your business in Maryland, you must check the availability of a trademark through USPTO's Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). By doing so, you can protect yourself from potential litigation resulting from any disputes over ownership of the brand name.
MD Business Search FAQs
How Do I Find Out if a Maryland Business Entity Is in Good Standing?
If you're looking for a particular business entity in Maryland, use the Department's Business Entity Search tool. You can search by name or the department's unique 8-digit identification number here. A business will appear as "Active" on your search results if it is in good standing.
How Do I Get Information about a Business Entity?
You can get more information about a business entity in Maryland by using the Secretary of State's Business Entity Search tool. Just search for the name or 8-digit identification number, and you'll be able to view detailed information such as the Date of Formation, Registered Agent Information, Principal Office Address, etc.
How Do I Find the Business Entity's Principal Office?
The principal office address of a business in Maryland can be found on the Secretary of State's Business Entity Search tool. Search for the entity and check the details under 'Principal Office.' The address here is where the business keeps its official records.
How Do I Find the Business Entity's Registered Agent?
A business's registered agent can be found on the Secretary of State's Business Entity Search tool. Search for the entity by name or 8-digit identification number, and you'll find detailed information about its registered agent. The address here is where all notices and legal documents are sent to.
How Do I Find Out when the Business Entity Was Formed?
The Department of State's Business Entity Search tool will list the 'Date of Formation' for a business entity in Maryland. This date corresponds to when the business was officially registered with the Secretary of State's office.
What Does a Business Entity Is Not in Good Standing or Forfeited Mean?
A "Not in Good Standing" status implies that the business entity is violating certain Maryland laws pertaining to businesses and their duties within this state. Only operational businesses can have a good standing, so any company which has been voluntarily dissolved will also show as "not in good standing" since it no longer functions.
What are the Costs to Request Business Documents in Maryland?
- Online Certified Copy: $20.00 (Certified Fee), $1.00 per page (Page Fee), $20.00 (Expedited Processing), "Credit Card or PayPal: 3% eCheck: $3.00" (Service Fee)
- Offline Certified Copy: $20.00 (Certified Fee), $1.00 per page (Page Fee), $20.00 (Expedited Processing), "Credit Card or PayPal: 3% eCheck: $3.00" (Service Fee)
- Online Non-Certified Copy: N/A (Certified Fee), $1.00 per page (Page Fee), $20.00 (Expedited Processing), "Credit Card or PayPal: 3% eCheck: $3.00" (Service Fee)
- Offline Non-Certified Copy: N/A (Certified Fee), $1.00 per page (Page Fee), $20.00 (Expedited Processing), "Credit Card or PayPal: 3% eCheck: $3.00" (Service Fee)
- Certificate of Status: $20.00 (Certified Fee), N/A (Page Fee), $20.00 (Expedited Processing), "Credit Card or PayPal: 3% eCheck: $3.00" (Service Fee)
What are the Business Type Filing Fees in Maryland?
- Sole Proprietorship: $0.00
- General Partnership: $0.00
- Domestic Stock Corporation: $300.00
- Foreign Stock Corporation: $300.00
- Domestic Nonstock Corporation: $0.00
- Foreign Nonstock Corporation: $0.00
- Foreign Insurance Corporation: $300.00
- Foreign Interstate Corporation: $0.00
- Domestic Limited Liability Company: $300.00
- Foreign Limited Liability Company: $300.00
- Domestic Limited Partnership: $300.00
- Foreign Limited Partnership: $300.00
- Domestic Limited Liability Partnership: $300.00
- Foreign Limited Liability Partnership: $300.00
- Domestic Statutory Trust: $300.00
- Foreign Statutory Trust: $300.00
- Real Estate Investment Trust: $300.00
- SDAT Certified Family Farm: $100.00